It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Parrot




Every parent probably has that moment when you say something in front of your child and immediately feel sheer panic as you imagine your lovely child repeating your dirty word or phrase over and over again. I've been particularly careful lately because Hailey has gone into repeat mode. The other day on the way to the doctor I said, "Hailey, did you make Mama a poopie?" Of course, she started saying poopie, poopie, poopie as we walked into the doctor's office (as if people couldn't smell it already!). So, I'm very conscious that she is a human parrot.

Well, this evening, I was cutting a jalepeno and accidentally transfered some of the hot stuff from my hand to my mouth when I licked my fingers like a complete idiot. I said a few unsavory words as my mouth was burning up. Then, I turned to look at my innocent little child sitting in her highchair looking at me. Thank goodness she was too busy eating to notice my indiscretion. Still, it's a scary thought to consider what might have happened. Honestly, I'm not much of a swearer, but there are some people out there that just have potty mouths. I guess their kids are the ones getting kicked out of daycare for saying dirty words. That's a sad thought.

Oh, on another note, I just looked up how to spell poopie because it's just not a word that I use every day (unless I'm writing a blog). Turns out you can spell it poopie or poopy...who knew??!?!?

6 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM , Anonymous peter said...

    Ooops! I guess Grandpa Pete is going to have to clean up his act! I still remember the first time I used a bad word in front of you...do you remember it? It sticks in my mind like the day Kennedy was shot. I couldn't have felt worse.

    Love,
    Dad

     
  • At 12:43 PM , Anonymous Alisa Hamilton said...

    You can relax. I don't remember it at all, and I clearly didn't start repeating it every other word!

     
  • At 1:50 PM , Anonymous peter said...

    But I said it when you were about 16!! When you were younger, I was ALWAYS on my best behavior...

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Anonymous katie said...

    I think I like it with the ie better. poopie sounds more formal than poopy. Y makes it sound like its just slang, but ie makes it sound like its trying to be a respectable word. This amuses us greatly. By the way, do my eyes deceive me or is her hair getting lighter?

     
  • At 6:32 AM , Anonymous Luke said...

    Lighter, curlier and finally a bit longer. She's starting to look more like my mom and I when we were babies (in the hair dept) .. i'll post some pictures soon so you can see .. quite funny.

     
  • At 6:48 AM , Anonymous ann said...

    Well, you're off to a good start by using the words "poopie" and "potty mouth".

    The problem is you can be very careful about the words you use, and then you put them on a school bus and they learn a whole new vocabulary.

    I think the best thing to do is not make a big deal about the "mistake" words you say. Once you do, they realize that it's a great way to get your attention.
    Love ya! -Auntie Ann

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home