It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Monday, August 13, 2007

The Walking Terror

Whenever I tell someone that Hailey is a year old, the next question is always, “Is she walking yet?” As I beam with maternal pride, I love to tell friends, family, and mere acquaintances that she actually started walking about a week before her first birthday. Here’s where the response that I get back differs depending on who I’m talking to. People that haven’t had kids or who had toddlers many years ago always respond very positively. People who have recently experienced the toddler years unanimously provide one answer: “I’m sorry.”

I used to wonder what their problem was. In general, she’s been no more trouble now than she was before she was walking. She can’t reach anything walking that she couldn’t already reach standing; so, she doesn’t get into any more stuff than usual at home. She was a pretty quick crawler; so, she’s not much faster walking (yet).

Unfortunately, this weekend I realized the fundamental difference between a crawling baby and a walking baby, and I learned it the hard way. You see, now that Hailey walks, no mode of transportation will suffice except walking. Alas, being pushed in a stroller or shopping cart is no longer cool with her. Nope. It’s all about the walking now. At home it’s not that big a deal, but when we’re shopping it’s next to impossible. I spent most of the weekend chasing her around various stores making sure that she didn’t start throwing glassware up and down the aisles. It was challenging to say the least. Luckily, I’m not a big shopper, but this means no more grocery shopping, no more Target shopping, and no more farmer’s market with Mommy. Daddy is going to have to keep her entertained at home. Either that, or I’m going to have to become one of those parents that I always scoffed at and put my baby on a leash!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yea, its funny how pride at your child's new accomplishment can so quickly turn into exasperation. Just wait until she figures out how to stand up in the shopping cart! I actually used to wonder why people bothered with the straps, but then one day I turned back from grabbing a loaf of bread to see my son standing up proudly in the cart, just seconds away from total concrete annihilation. On the plus side...there is never a dull moment with a toddler around. And I don't know about you, but constantly trying to prevent catastrophes before they occurs had made me quite a bit sharper and more aware of my surrounding. Its like we have special mommy ninja skills! That should make Chris and Luke pretty jealous :)

    Katie

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Anonymous Aunt Nancy said...

    Ah... well... That's pretty much how it is with EVERY stage a child goes thru... from todler thru teens. You will find yourself trying ideas and suggestions from other parents simply because everything you've tried didn't work. The difference is that with a toddler you are physically exhausted and with a teenager you are mentally exhausted. You will find psychology will work on a toddler but when they become teens, they try to use it on you. However, every child is different and each will handle the stages differently. When, and if you choose to have another child, you will see what I mean.

    Well... there is no getting around it. You have accepted the challenge of being a parent... no instruction manual comes with the job. (though many authors have tried)

    So... I'm sorry.

    Aunt Nancy :)

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Anonymous peter said...

    But you know what I hear in your comments? Love. Pure motherly love. As Aunt Nancy said, every new step presents challenges but, as I've told you oh so many times, every step is an event to cherish. Yes, you have to learn to deal with each occasion differently, but I can tell that you still cherish each advance. You're discovering that your child is a wonder...just like you were.

    Love,
    Dad

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Anonymous ann said...

    So help me if you put that child on one of those leashes I will spank you. While I understand there purpose, I just can't condone it.

    One solution that worked for me is to bring the kids' little shopping cart with me to the store. Then they get to shop too. Yes, it takes twice as long, but maybe she'll learn the value of a bargain at a youn age. We Fanaras are genetically programed to find the bargain after all. Best of luck!

    I must agree with Nancy's opinion regarding the different challenges based on the stages. I think, and perhaps she'll agree, that all the challengeS you face through the first 13+ years with your child actually are preparing you for the teenage yearss. Be afraid, be very afraid!

    Love, Auntie Ann

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Anonymous nikki said...

    my mother put me on a leash (yes, i even have pictures), and look what happened to me... be wary of the leash!

     
  • At 6:52 AM , Anonymous Nancy said...

    Just reading through all the comments and advise and loving encouragement, I realize what a wonderful tool you have Alisa. Most of us mothers never were able to gain so much wisdom with a touch of a button. What a great support system!! And, by the way, you're doing a wonderful job as a mommy and it's always a joy to read your colorful commentary :)
    Love you guys very much, Nancy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home