It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Talky, Talk, Talk

Hailey has been home sick for the past two days with her Daddy. His company has a “take as many days as you need but get your work done policy;” mine does not. So, he is the dedicated caregiver for now. I’m trying to save every possible day for my maternity leave.



Anyway, yesterday I was IMing Luke to ask him how Hailey was when she woke up. His response made me laugh outloud… “A little fever and nonstop talking.” Yeah. Nonstop talking is not so much a symptom of the cold as it is a symptom of having a little girl in the house. It really is nonstop. Sometimes she won’t stop to eat. It’s just constant chatter, questions, answers, gibberish, more questions, remarks about things that happened days ago, commentary on the state of the weather outside, reminders of the last boo boo she had, reminders of who caused said boo boo, demands to go potty, discussions of what happens on the potty, etc, etc. You get the picture. It just goes on and on.



It can be quite exhausting to deal with someone who lacks any internal dialogue because I always want her to know that we’re listening to her. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. It’s quite adorable, and I know that there will be a day when she decides not to talk to us anymore. I’m sure that will be worse. So for now, I’ll enjoy each little conversation that we have even if it’s the eighteenth time today that we’ve talked about the fact that it’s raining.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM , Anonymous katie said...

    I totally relate. I must hear the phrase, "hey, I see something!" at least 52 times every time we get in the car. Sometimes its a cow, sometimes its a dump truck, and sometimes its a squished bug on the windshield. Nothing escapes the verbal observation of a two year old! Perhaps we should put them on the phone with each other from time to time to expend some of their words!

     
  • At 10:53 PM , Anonymous Aunt Nancy in AZ said...

    Enjoy the chatter while you can... Soon she'll be chatting with her friends and not sharing details with you... it's a slow fade and you might not even notice it happening.

    Besides... these are the times that they say the cutest things!!!

    Hugs,
    Aunt Nancy in AZ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home